Occupational diseases are injuries that develop over time. And these can happen to any employee since the main factor to develop them is that the person is exposed to repetitive movements for long periods of time. Therefore, these injuries not only affect builders or people who work in warehouses carrying heavy objects but can happen to anyone from an employee who works in an office or store to one who works in a factory.
Some of the most common occupational injuries are:
- Dermatitis: This is one of the most common occupational skin diseases.
- Respiratory diseases: This category includes asthma, lung diseases, and chronic obstructive lung diseases, among others.
- Musculoskeletal disorders: The most common injuries in this category are repetitive stress injuries (RSI), such as carpal tunnel syndrome or tendonitis. They are generally caused by repetitive movements, uncomfortable positions, handling loads, and lack of rest.
- Hearing loss: People exposed to high noise levels can suffer minor or severe damage that prevents them from hearing clearly.
- Cancer: Occupational cancers occur when workers are in contact with carcinogenic substances in their workplace.
- Infectious diseases: These cases can happen if employers do not provide optimal working conditions for their employees.
What benefits can I acquire if I suffer from this type of illness?
There are several types of benefits that you can receive. These include:
- Permanent damage benefits
- Temporary damage benefits
- Benefits for medical expenses
- Death benefits
- Lost wages
Our workers’ compensation attorneys are dedicated to fighting for the compensation you or your loved ones deserve. If you are exposed to a work environment that puts you at risk or have identified that your work activities are damaging your health, it is a priority to seek help and file a workers’ compensation claim. Do not hesitate to contact us; we are waiting for you!