Here are some essential facts you probably didn’t know about the personal injury claim process. Personal injury claims are brought by people who have suffered physical, emotional, or psychological harm due to another party’s negligence or intentional actions. While many people are familiar with the concept of a personal injury claim, the legal terms, processes, and options are often unfamiliar to most people without legal experience.
1. First of all, personal injury lawsuits can be filed for all kinds of reasons. Among the most common personal injury accidents are injuries from car accidents, slips and falls, medical malpractice, and dog bites. That is why it is crucial for you to know that not all injuries will qualify for a lawsuit.
2. Second, it is not always necessary to go to court to resolve a personal injury case. Many personal injury cases are settled out of court through negotiations between the injured party and the at-fault party’s insurance company. If the two parties do not reach an agreement in a negative scenario, the case can proceed to trial. Keep in mind that even if a case goes to trial, it can still be settled before a verdict is reached.
3. Third, several times, people are unaware that by filing a personal injury lawsuit, they can recover damages for more than just medical expenses. Among the expenses included are the damages for lost wages, pain, suffering, and anguish, among other expenses.
4. Fourth, all states are governed by statutes of limitations that apply time limits for filing a personal injury claim.
5. Finally, you can file a personal injury lawsuit despite being partially at fault.