Agriculture ranks among the most hazardous industries. Do you know which are the most common work-related injuries in the agricultural sector?
Agriculture is a crucial industry in our country. Sadly, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, farm workers are among the most susceptible to work-related severe injuries. Some statistics say that more than 10% of all fatal occupational injuries occur in the agricultural industry, and thousands of injured employees are forced to miss time from work. For this reason, in California, the law requires that employers in the farming industry, no matter how large or small, provide workers’ compensation benefits to farm workers injured during work.
The most common work-related injuries among agricultural employees include:
– Farm equipment accidents: Farm work often involves heavy machinery and equipment, including tractors, combines, plows, and grain elevators. Tractor roll-overs are one of the most common farm equipment accidents. Still, any piece of machinery can cause an injury if it is not operated safely or is not working correctly.
– Slip and fall injuries: as with any other slip and fall accidents, the employee can suffer minor sprains, fractures, traumatic brain, and spinal cord injuries, and much more.
– Pesticide exposure: Exposure to chemicals can result in injuries and diseases.
– Respiratory hazards: Repeated inhalation of certain materials like dust, pollen, or chemicals can cause lung damage.
– Heat exhaustion: Being exposed to hot weather conditions, especially outdoors, can increase the risk of suffering heat stroke, heat exhaustion, cancer, and hyperthermia.
– Physical exertion: Immediate injuries like tears and sprains are common, as are repetitive stress injuries like tendonitis.
– Livestock and other animals: a common injury working with animals is being thrown from horseback.
At Blanco and Arias Law Firm, we are committed to helping every worker that needs legal representation, especially if he or she needs to pursue workers’ compensation.